Rose Bowl proposals aim to set new standards
Today members of the Bowl liaison panel and local councillors were given a briefing on the Rose Bowl proposals for the final development of this important site in West End. The aim of the proposal is to both improve the facilities for visitors to Rose Bowl and to decrease the impact on the local community.
When the plans are sufficiently mature they will come before the HEWEB local area committee for approval and as with all planning proposals the devil will be detail at that stage. Until then the proposals can be viewed on the Rose Bowl website or by visiting the Rose Bowl where they are going to be displayed.
Briefly the proposal is to :-
- add new entrances to the ground to remove the pressure of traffic away from Botley Road. This will include - an entrance on to the A27 by the roundabout at the top of Kanes Hill for a possible new park and walk facility - an entrance directly off the motorway for the use by emergency vehicles only - the use of the current emergency entrance as a new pedestrian entrance to separate pedestrians and cars on Marshall Way thus increasing the follow of traffic out of the ground after a match.
- add two new covered stands either side of the pavilion, so as increase the amount the covered seating.
- add a new curved 4-star, 175 bedroom hotel, which will include 75 hotel rooms that overlook the ground on big match days these will double up as hospitality boxes, radio commentary rooms or TV studios. In the centre of this new hotel facing the ground will be a large conference room that on big match days will double up a media centre.
- substantially improve the catering arrangements with more outlets offering a wider choice of better quality food from permanent structures and not the current burger vans. Also the improved facilities will also see the portacabin toilet blocks replaced with a high number of good quality permanent toilet facilities.
- increase the current 9-hole golf course to a 18-hole on the 150 acre site with the all important 19th hole club house being part of the new hotel complex.
Commenting on the proposals Eastleigh Borough Councils leader Keith House said :-
"Eastleigh is proud to host one of England's very best cricket and entertainment venues in West End. The Rose Bowl has an ambition to be one of the world's greatest cricketing venues and Eastleigh Borough Council shares that ambition. The proposals launched today are an outline of a truly exciting package that can help boost more people taking part in cricket and watching some of the world's best cricket. We'll be working with The Rose Bowl as they refine their plans."
These are just proposals at this stage so if anyone has any comments on them please contact a local councillor or Eastleigh Borough Council planning department.
These proposals are still subject to planning permission and they will as always with any planning application be given the fullest possible public hearing and examination. However if they meet all the planning regulations plus the main aims of improving the facilities and reducing the impact on West End then this will be of great benefit to West End and the wider area.