New Parish Council for West End
Following the recent elections West End Parish Council now has a new mandate to serve the people of West End. For the first time in nearly 15 years there were contested elections for the Parish Council in one ward. In that ward, West End South, the people of West End elected all five of the Liberal Democrat candidates standing plus the two conservatives to fill up to two remaining slots for the ward.
The newly elected seven parish councillors from the south ward are added to the six parish councillors, included two Liberal Democrats, who were elected unopposed from the north ward to make up 13 of the 14 seats on West End Parish council. The one remaining seat is from Kane's Hill ward for which no candidates came forward and so the Parish Council will have to re-advertise, and then possibly co-opt a willing villager onto the council.
So your magnificent seven Liberal Democrat parish councillors are :-
- Peter Humphreys - as former Borough Councillor, past Mayor of Eastleigh and ex-chairman of the Parish Council Peter topped the parish council poll in West End South proving he is as popular as ever. He has a wealth of Parish and Borough experience to offer and has served in a number of positions over the years.
- Joyce Sortwell - is also a Borough Councillor for West End South, who has chaired the Planning and Highways committee at the Parish as well as representing the Parish on various outside bodies and is currently Chair of the Standards committee at the Borough Council.
- John Read - is a past vice-chairman of the Parish Council and was a long time Chair of the Townhill Farm Community Association, he has a particular interest in Public Transport issues. During the spell the Parish Council had without a clerk John as the vice-chairman together with the then chairman took over the day to day running of the Parish Council and did a splendid job.
- Tony Noyce - has been was Parish Council vice-chairman for the past two years and is newly elected Borough Councillor for West End North. He has also chaired Policy & Resources committee on the parish council and is keen to promote West End cause as much as he can.
- Pearl Hicks - is a newly elected member to West End Parish Council but she is an experienced councillor having served a number of years on Hedge End Town. She knows West End and the area well having lived at Oaktree Caravan Park before moving to Hedge End, prior returning a few years ago to West End. She also has a wealth of police experience and so will be able to assist the Parish Council greatly the community safety aspect of their role.
- Bruce Tennent - was elected last year to the Borough Council for West End North and now represents the that area on the Parish Council. Having lived in Eastleigh since 1986 and West End since 1994 he has seen many changes to the community. And since joining the Borough Council has taken up many residents issues.
- Graham Sortwell - has served on the Parish Council for the last 3 years and through the gardening and landscaping business he runs with his wife Joyce, plus his allotment in West End, has a keen interested in many of the aspects of the Parish Council's work.
Following the Annual General Meeting of the Parish Council on Wednesday 9th May the following Councillors were selected by their fellow Councillors for the main roles on West End Parish council :-
- Neville Dickinson continues as Chairman,
- Peter Humphreys was selected as vice-Chairman
- Joyce Sortwell was selected as Policy & Resources committee chair
- Martin Hollingsworth was selected as Planning & Highways committee chair
- Steve Broomfield was selected as Recreation & Environment committee chair
If anyone wishes to attend meetings at the Parish Council they are open to the public and are held at the Parish Centre, commencing at 7.15 p.m. on the following days :-
- Full Parish Council meeting - 2nd Wednesday of the month
- Planning & Highways committee meeting - 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month
- Recreation & Environment committee meeting - 3rd Wednesday of the month
- Policy & Resources committee meeting - 4th Wednesday of the month