A budget for the benefit of all
By David Goodall in Eastleigh Borough Council
I will, of course, be supporting the Liberal Democrats budget with the proposed 1.8% average increase in the Eastleigh Borough Council Tax. The consist effect of keeping the regressive Council Tax low over 6 Years has been and will continue to be of great benefit to all the Boroughs residents.
On the issue of concessionary travel David Airey has given a detailed explanation of the services offered, which are in excess of the requirement we have to offer. He explained about:-
- The all day everyday bus pass
- The use of this pass on all four services offered by One Community including the regular shopping trips.
- And the greatly expanded Hospital Taxis service.
However one thing not mentioned were the detailed costs. Fortunately I asked Nick Tustan, the Chief Financial Officer, about this earlier today. So the totals are:-
- The Concessionary Travel budget is £1,343,000
- The Direct Government Grant for this is £312,000
This means the net cost to the council is £1,031,000
This I would submit to council is a great more than nothing as has been alleged by some. I would therefore urge all councillors to support this budget as has been presented.