My Election Address
Due to an hold up at the printers my election address has been delayed therefore I am publishing it on this website.
A fair & just society
To have a fair and just society it is necessary to have laws and for those laws to be enforced. David knows, as a policeman's son and with a Police Inspector brother, that more police and better use of technology will increase the chances of being caught. And once caught penal reform is essential to reduce the high re-offending rate. Rather than talking tough, effective measures like more police, less paperwork plus training & drug treatment in prison with clearer sentences must be taken to create the fair and just society we all desire
Fair taxes for all
Taxation is necessary to pay for the public services that we all use. The only question to determine is how to raise these it the fairest manner. The current is system is unfair because the 10% of the population with the greatest income pay a lower percentage of their income in tax than the poorest 10%. Council Tax is the most regressive tax in the taxman's book and one of the main reasons those on low incomes pay a high percentage of it in tax. This is why David has consistently voted for council tax in Eastleigh to be 1% below inflation for 7 years in a row.
Giving a fair start
As a Southampton School Governor since 2002 and a parent David knows that making sure every pupil gets the best possible is important. This is why David fully supports the Lib Dem plan for a pupil premium. For Southampton this would mean an extra £13 million for our schools. This fair start should not just be through school life but through further education as well. We should not burden our children with debt as they start work. This is why tuition fees should be scrapped.
Creating a fairer NHS
Responsive local services are created if local people run them. And they are answerable for that public service to the people they provide it to. In Southampton, the central government appointed Newbury based South Central Strategic Health Authority decided to put fluoride in the water. Despite 72% of Public Consultation respondents, Hampshire County Council, Eastleigh Borough Council, Test Valley and New Forest Councils all rejecting the proposal. This is not fair and it is not right. Just one example of why we would have directly elected Health Authorities, that would have the political and financial power to act in the public interest.
The Lib Dem Difference
Only the Liberal Democrats will protect front line NHS services and really give local people control of local public services. And we've a costed plan to do it. That's the Lib Dem difference. Please help David Goodall get action to make Britain fairer by giving him your support to be your next local MP.
- Born in Southampton, his first school was Glenfield Infants and he has lived on Townhill Farm, West End since 1997
- He has been married for 20 years with two children & attends Thornhill Baptist Church
- David left school at 16, he then completed a Apprenticeship followed by a Degree
- He is now a Charter Engineer working for Siemens as a Senior Consultant & Project Leader at Roke Manor, Romsey
- Since 2002 he has been West End Borough Councillor & Southampton School Governor
- Amongst other issues, he has campaigned against Post Office closures, against water fluoridation, for better roads & pavements, to reduce the effects of climate change, to axe council tax, for Gurkha justice, for better recycling, to scrap tuition fees, for cleaner streets, for fairer taxation and fairer votes
- He has served on Environment, Prosperity and Community Wellbeing scrutiny panels
- He is currently vice-chair of the Partnership for Urban South Hampshire scrutiny panel and the Hedge End, West End and Botley local area committee
My contract with Southampton's people
- I will put local people first. I will be there to help, listen to your concerns and stand up for our community.
- I will make sure your voice is heard - locally and at Westminster. I will be a strong voice for Southampton.
- I will be open and honest about all expenses incurred in representing you.
See the full version of my contract at http://www.davidgoodall.org.uk/pages/Contract.html
Four steps to a fairer Britain
- 1. Fairer taxes that put money back in your pocket - Pay no tax on the first £10,000 you earn - cutting most tax bills by £700.
- 2. A fair chance for every child - -Smaller class sizes, more cash for schools and no university tuition fees.
- 3. A fair future: create jobs by making Britain greener - Invest in public transport, renewable energy and energy efficient homes.
- 4. A fair deal for you from the politicians - Make politicians accountable and give you the right to sack corrupt MPs.
Liberal Democrats are winning for Britain, we:
- Run many of our biggest cities including Liverpool, Sheffield and Bristol.
- Won more votes than Labour in the last elections.
- Are stronger now than at any time since 1929.
- Can deliver real change across Britain today.
Join the campaign for change that works for you - https://www.libdems.org.uk/join_us.aspx