The Rose Bowl, West End
The Rose Bowl in West End has been a subject of much discussion and debate as to its relative merit. So to add to this subject here are my thoughts on the subject :-
- The Rose Bowl is a great facility that with some improvements to the access and facilities in the ground it could become one of the best cricketing venues in the world.
- The indoor conference and event area of the Rose Bowl can be of great benefit to the local community particularly if they were enhanced.
- The Rose Bowl ground could be used for outdoor events other than Cricket providing the impact on the local community is no greater than a cricket match. There should be no events that recreate the mess and disturbance of the Oasis concert in 2005.
- The Rose Bowl management must improve its communication of events at the Rose Bowl with the local community and keep this at a standard high.
- The Rose Bowl is wonderful setting for a Cricket ground and its presence in West End enhances the Botley Road entrance to the village.
- I fully support as do all West End Councillors at all levels county, borough and parish the liaison group that was setup in 2004 to work with Police, Borough Engineers, Development Control, Hampshire Cricket, Rose Bowl plc and, above all, residents to address increasing concerns arising from activities at the Rose Bowl. These concerns comprise parking, noise, traffic levels and planning consent issues.
In summary I would say the Rose Bowl is one of the best cricket and entertainment venues in country and I am proud it is in West End, with more work and good community relations it could become one of the best cricketing facilities in the world. It could boost the playing of cricket and the sporting fortunes of my home county cricket club all of which can only be a good thing.