David's Views: Taxation
It was once said there are two things in life that are always true, death and taxes.Yet taxation is necessary to pay for the things that we wish to do as a nation.
For me the main thing is that taxation should be fair and this means:
- progressive - we should all pay income tax but those earning less pay a lower percentage and those earning more pay a higher percentage.
- not punitive - the top rate of taxation should not penalise people for their success.
- low taxation - it should be as low as possible, yet it should also provide the services that are required.
- living within our means - we should not burden the next generation unfairly with our debt.
- a simple taxation system - tax avoidance is the same as benefit fraud - both mean that the honest public in the middle have to make up for the fiddles. A simpler system would reduce tax avoidance and therefore the general population can pay less tax.
The bottom line:
- The tax and benefit system should avoid giving with one hand and taking with the other. This will ultimately mean that the benefit system and taxation system should merge into one system.